Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)
The RDSP is a powerful, new tax-deferred savings tool that will present families with a way to provide for the future financial security of their loved ones with disabilities.
Highlights of the Registered Disability Savings Plan
- Like Registered Education Savings Plans, the plan will allow funds to be invested tax-free until withdrawal.
- Any individual eligible for the Disability Tax Credit may establish an RDSP.
- $200,000 lifetime contribution limit, but there is no annual limit on contributions.
- Contributions permitted by the individual, family member and/or friends.
- Contributions grow on a tax deferred basis.
- No restrictions on when the funds can be used or for what purpose.
- Contributions are matched by the federal government through generous Canada Disability Savings Grants.
- Grants are greater for families in the lower and middle-income categories.
- The Grant can be received up to a maximum of $70,000 or until the year the person turns 50.
- For people who have limited financial means, the Canada Disability Savings Bond will be available even without contributions.
- The Bond can be received for up to $20,000 or until the year the person turns 50.
- Upon withdrawal, the income, the Grant, and the Bond are taxed in the hands of the beneficiary, and are likely to be taxed at a much lower rate.
Payments from the RDSP
- The beneficiary of a plan can receive Disability Savings Payments as soon as the RDSP is established. There are no restrictions on when the funds can be withdrawn or for what purpose, but any Grant or Bond received within 10 years must be repaid.
- Each dollar withdrawn is considered to be comprised of contribution, Grant or Bond, and income. The proportion that is Grant, Bond or income is taxable.
Stay Informed and Get Involved!
- Make sure you or your relative are qualified for the Disability Tax Credit, have submitted a 2006 and 2007 tax return, and have a Social Insurance Number.
- Visit PLAN’s new RDSP website at www.rdsp.com
- Join PLAN for free today to receive important RDSP updates and other great benefits www.plan.ca
- Register for a free RDSP Telelearning Seminar